Mineralvandsfabrikken and Mineralvandshuset
Conversion and renovation of Mineralvandsfabrikken
Mineralvandsfabrikken (the mineral water factory) is a heritage-listed building that was built in 1920-1927. During its 90-year history, it has been extensively rebuilt, inside and out, to meet the changing needs of the Carlsberg Brewery. Since the brewery stopped using the building, also called ‘TAP E’, in 2008, it has housed several cultural institutions including Dansehallerne.
Under the extensive renovation, the ground floor and first floor of the eastern part of Mineralvandsfabrikken were converted for retail leases, the second and third floors were converted into offices, and the fourth and fifth floors were converted into 20 exclusive dwellings with a courtyard high above the district’s roofs.
The renovation of Mineralvandsfabrikken was undertaken with great respect for the historic industrial building, and with a focus on returning the building to its original layout.
- Carlsberg Byen Ejendomme P/S
- New building 8,684 m² | Basement 2,253 m²
- Design management, all engineering disciplines, OHS coordination and specialist fire protection, indoor climate, acoustics and natural light competences.
- Advisory role
- Lead consultant during the project development phase, then project manager and engineering consultant to Hoffmann
- Hoffmann, Dorthe Mandrup Arkitekter
Construction of Mineralvandshuset
Mineralvandshuset was built in extension to Mineralvandsfabrikken, and contains retail outlets, offices and 49 dwellings. The building has several architectural references to the existing Mineralvandsfabrikken. Stairwells have been built between the existing and new building, which clearly mark the boundary between old and new.
The project was planned in connection with renovation of the listed Mineralvandsfabrikken building on the eastern part of the site. The two buildings therefore need to be viewed in context, and various features and access routes link the two buildings together. The building is quadrangular in shape.
Sweco’s roles in the project
Sweco served as lead consultant during the project development phase and one of the consultants during the construction phase, where Hoffmann was the turnkey contractor. In phase 1, Sweco was responsible for the conceptual design proposal, project proposal and regulatory project.
Once a building permit and excavation and casting permit were granted, Sweco became a sub-consultant to the turnkey contractor, Hoffmann, in phase 2. During this phase, Sweco was responsible for the main project, project follow-up and supervision.
The developer selected the team for the project directly, consisting of the lead consultant (Sweco), architect (Dorte Mandrup Arkitekter) and contractor (Hoffmann). Sweco had constructive dialogue with the Danish Agency for Culture and Palaces throughout the project, to accommodate the ideas and visions the Agency had for the listed building.